Saturday, January 22, 2005

Inauguration Day

I'm in Washington and could have attended the Presidential Inauguration festivities. Think I went? Yea right... I slept in. It was nice having a second day in one week with school closed! (MLK Day was Monday) The inauguration itself: blah. It's amazing how the entire city shut down for the event. I can see why the magnitude of the event was so large, between security concerns and the sheer number of people that attended, but still, it didn't affect me one bit. My excitement of the afternoon was surely not watching President Bush taking his second oath of office... no, it was going to Ikea. I know he won the election. I've come to accept that (sort of), but he has already begun to try to pull a blindfold over the eyes of the American people once again with his attempts to privatize Social Security and it just infuriates me. Emergency? Please.

The real fun of the day was going to George Washington University's Inaugural Ball. Alli's friend Vanessa got us tickets for it (thank you, Vanessa!) and it was a pretty nice affair. We got all dressed up and went to the Omni Shoreham Hotel, a pretty sweet hotel near Woodley Park. Food all night, a live band... it felt like a big Bar Mitzvah. A very good night to cap a relatively depressing day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home