Thursday, August 11, 2005

GBM, We'll miss you

My brother flew into BWI on Tuesday afternoon to visit (he's still here by the way and we're having an awesome time. More on that later). I didn't check my email until late that evening to find an email from one of the women who works in admissions, who wrote me saying "Alex- Can you please call me at my office number. It’s very important." I thought that was a very odd email to receive. I then read the next email that came from her which was sent about 90 minutes later that said,

"Unfortunately, I’m the bearer of very sad news. I heard today from an WCL alum that Greg Mergen recently died."

Greg was the first person I spoke to at WCL after admissions and one of the first people I met here. Watching him work and talking to him was one of the reasons I wanted to work at the computer lab. Greg had the ability to use his immense wit and intelligence in a number of different ways. He was caring, funny, intelligent, a superb conversationalist, and incredibly observant. Not only was he dedicated to his job (unfortunately more so than any supervisor of his could ever see), but he was fun and interesting to work with. He connected with dozens of people who simply came to the lab to have their computers fixed and left them laughing and smiling.

Greg, you will be missed deeply. I am so glad that I was able to work with you this past year. I'm sure anyone else who has known Greg over his 35 of life feels the same way. If you want to gather some insight into Greg's life (and possibly leave a note to share), you can view his blog at http://homepage.mac.com/gbm/iblog/

Here's a link to the obituary from his hometown newspaper: http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?BRD=1698&dept_id=21847&newsid=14998832&PAG=461&rfi=9

5 Comments:

At 10:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to Greg's hometown. A friend I work with who graduated with Greg and I in 1988 told me he had passed. I remember him as friendly, intelligent, talented and witty as well. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

 
At 6:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a subject of one of GBM's blog pages, I found him to be hurtful, passive-aggressive, and a liar. He wrote of playing mind games with me and cheating me out of money because I was poor and didn't know how to stand up for myself. He was my roommate and he frequently informed me of my worthlessnes in life. I hated this man and I'm glad he's gone. He once told me that only people who have something to offer him are worthy of his friendship. And I certainly wasn't worthy. Well, Greg, you weren't worthy of my friendship either. Sure, it's been over a year now, and I've moved on... or maybe I haven't.

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whomever posted the above comment ... you are in a very small minority and barely worthy of a response.

I just wanted to point out to Alex a bit of sad truth that his blog is no longer up.

The mac accounts are paid accounts and i imagine his went under.

 
At 6:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does anyone have any details on what happened to Greg?

Please email me at david.taylor@weil.com.

Thanks.

 
At 9:57 PM, Blogger e said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home