Friday, February 18, 2005

mmmmm, Asian-type food.

Anyone who knows me knows that I am very anti-chain restaurant. If I have my choice between going to Chili's or a local hole-in-the-wall joint, Chili's will not be the restaurant to receive my patronage. I truly think Phoenix's metro area, a large, modern city that has expansive sprawl and has yet to find its cultural roots, might be the chain restaurant capital of the world. Within a five mile radius of my parents' house, I can count two Chili's, two Applebee's, a Friday's, Pei Wei, Ruby Tuesday, Sweet Tomatoes, Bahama Breeze, Red Lobster... well, you get the idea. Anyway, I was disappointed but not surprised to see that P.F. Chang's wants to open a new restaurant. Laura Cherry, company spokeswoman, said "Atmosphere and type of service will play a very important role" in this new upcoming restaurant. "We know it will be Asian in nature with a price point slightly higher than the Bistro."

When I hear about a new restaurant, I like to hear about a renowned chef or the dishes they plan to serve. "Asian in nature" does not do much to describe the latest restaurant.

What bothers me most about chain restaurants is the business-like nature of them. If P.F. Chang's could make more money selling shoes, they would drop the restaurant (excuse me, "China Bistro") business like a bad habit. Making high quality food and making people happy is not their primary goal. They are a money-making business venture first and eatery second. While atmosphere and service are nice, I'm going to a restaurant to eat. I care about the food, not the "price points."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home